Wednesday, September 7, 2011

RESPECT

What does that word mean to you? Does the old saying you gotta give respect to get it? What if you are always waiting for the other person to go first? What if they don't? Your not going to respect that other person because they didn't go first?
The pure definition of respect differs on who you ask. What they respect changes constantly depending on the person whom you are asking about. What do I mean? Well think about it... the reason you respect your boss isn't the same reason you respect your neighbor. You respect each person for different reasons. I don't give my respect out willy nilly. I respect someone when they are honest in the face of blame. When they take ownership in what they have done and fight to make it right. I have respect for those who are sticking up for the people who cannot stick up for themselves. People who put themselves in the path for ridicule to show support for someone outside of the norm. I show respect to anyone making a living and fighting every day to do what is right and not blaming others for their failures but learn from them and ask themselves: Ok next time what can I do different for a different outcome.
I could take the easy way on so many levels for so many things but I don't. I fight for those who don't have a voice or are to afraid to speak out for ridicule.  I own up to my mistakes, I learn from my mistakes and take steps to remind myself that it is ok to make them. No one is perfect no matter what illusion they cast.
Take the time today to ask yourself what RESPECT means to you, you may find that you need to change your definition of what it means to you. Everyone says to lower your standards so you won't be disappointed.... I say raise them and demand that others raise theirs. Disappointment is a way of life. How you handle that disappointment is a way of character.

No comments:

Post a Comment